Urbandictionary.com defines a flash mob as “a group of people who appear from out of nowhere, to perform predetermined actions, designed to amuse and confuse surrounding people.” What better way to initiate relationships between consumers and your brand?
Since the advent of the flash mob in New York in 2003, it has been used as a highly effective brand activation and marketing tool. The element of surprise creates an unforgettable experience which leads buyers to awareness for your brand. Not only that, but more often than not spectators video the production. With smart phones being so prevalent, chances are that by the time you have completed your show, it has already been filmed, uploaded, and shared by a large majority of the audience. The joy in this is that one flash mob organised by you gets multiple videos and shares at the hands of complete strangers. How does that sound for effective marketing?The how
A staged flash mob may appear to be a spontaneous once-off event, but behind the scenes it has been preceded pedantic preparation and rehearsal. In fact, the more preparation that goes into it, the more spontaneous a flash mob event seems. In order to successfully pull off this powerful marketing, there are a few aspects to bear in mind:
- While it can seem like rather a daunting task, modern technology has made communication a lot easier. Arranging all the logistics, the red tape, hiring the performers – all this can be done remotely.
- Analyse the location where the flash mob will take place. Consider the need for permission, the space available for the choreography, and how busy the space gets.
- To make a connection with your business and increase its lasting appeal, add a theme to your video.
- A meticulously planned and entertaining flash mob video has potential to go viral, irrespective of the size of your budget. Without ruining the element of surprise, make sure that your brand or your message is visible once filming begins. Consider using hashtags to encourage sharing. Check that any branding message is visible from 360 degrees.
- According to insights from YouTube, videos that include unsuspecting bystanders being caught up in the action rate highest. Ideally, timing your flash mob to take place when an open-minded audience is in the vicinity is your goal. This, however, is never going to be guaranteed – no matter how conscientious your research.
- Capture everything on film. To extend the marketing campaign further, footage of the preparation and out-takes from behind the scenes can be used after the release of the flash mob video. Once again, having a memorable hashtag makes this easier to share.
If you are inspired to use a flash mob for your next promotion or event, please contact us
today for more information.